Thursday, January 8, 2009

Western or Asian

Expression of feelings had became a topic for me today.

Someone told me that Asians are usually typical close to themselves. That hardly express their feelings whether it's family or lover. Well, it is true. It can be seen especially in family where parents hardly show their love for their children directly. They tend to do it indirectly that might cause misunderstanding. Apart from that, it could be the environment's fault where the thirteen aunties came and gossiped about parenting. That make it hard for the parents to show their love in front of their children. Meanwhile, for lovers...I hardly observed.

But, in Western, it is common to see that parents kept saying I LOVE YOU to their children. This can either be genuine or showing off. The effort of saying I LOVE YOU to children can gain their children trust and the affection of belonging. It also boost the children self-esteem and confidence. In lovers, it can be found in movies where lovers kiss, cuddle and say I LOVE YOU everywhere regardless of time and place.

Scenario 1:
A couple are kissing in front of friends and saying I LOVE YOU.

Western: that is normal/that is so sweet
Asian: Can't they just do it somewhere privately/this is just shameful

Scenario 2:
Parents dropping their child to school. Mum hold her child's hand and kiss her child's forehead and say I LOVE YOU.

Western: sweet mother
Asian: is it a necessary to do that?/ this is awkward

Scenario 3:
A guy was expressing his feelings to his admirer

Western: it could be either reject or accept
Asian: tried to skip the topic if the admirer is not ready/ acting bimbo-ish

Those are just some scenarios that I can give and the possible thoughts of both sides.

For me, I can say that I am 60/40. I'm do prefer to release my feelings and thoughts rather than keeping it. It's irritating to keep it. So, why not release it? But, there are limits for expressing them before it could get worst scenario.
Maybe I watched too much of American's production movies. So, there are things I love to express it directly and it means emo...I accept that label.
Somehow, if you want to find someone for complaining and expressing dissatisfaction or whatsoever, make sure that you can find a good listener. At least, it is to relief yourself.

No comments: